Wednesday, April 16, 2008

First Post

This blog has been a long time coming. After weeks and weeks of peer pressure, I'm finally giving in--NOT because I have anything interesting to say, but rather, I have hundreds of mindless, uninteresting things to say. So, to any of you who have nothing better to do...here goes.

Today, my favorite sister dianey and I went on our first-semi-annual-reading-day-DI-shopping-spree. It was quite the enjoyable treasure
hunt and we came off conquerors. As we walked across campus
afterwards, flaunting our DI bags and their precious contents, we
reminisced about the days when we would've rather died than to be
caught in public with a DI bag. We would actually go shopping at
GAP or Old Navy or somewhere, and save our bags to reuse if we ever
needed one to take to school. That way, "they" would know how cool we
were.

So, it got me thinking, who is this mysterious "they" I've been
looking out for all my life? Who's to say that DI shopping is less
cool than GAP shopping. Actually, now that I think about it, it seems
more embarrassing to carry your GAP bag with the one shirt that you
could purchase with the allotted budget, as opposed to the five shirts
and pair of shoes, that could be purchased at DI for the same price.

And why did "they" say that baby girls should wear pink, and boys
blue. Seriously, if you were going for alliteration with the B thing,
you'd think they would say green or gumby or something instead of
pink.

And what about blogging? Why am I writing this at 12:47 am? Simply because of "them"

This list could go on and on.

I mean, really. Is my DI bag really more embarrassing than the girl I
saw on campus today, sneaking up on a duck to take a picture of it
with her phone? I bet she'd be more successful if she camouflaged her
phone like a twinky. I hear ducks love those things.

I think that "they" deserve a good talking to about the traditions of
this society. "They" definitely should say that it's more cool for
professors to never give finals. But, since "they" haven't said
anything on that topic, if anyone has "their" information, I would like it so I can send "them" a nasty email.

Disclaimer: I actually do really like the color pink. Also, to all you who are wondering about the blog title, if you like it, it was my idea. If you think it's stupid, Barney named it. If you don't get it, it's a quote from the Book of Mormon with the unwritten "be Mary". Funny huh.

4 comments:

Barney Lund said...

Wow, I was pretty excited that you made your first post. I was so proud. I was so...until you said that you'd blame me if people thought the name of your blog was 'stupid'.

Well I never! :)

Oh, and if they are the same ones that told you to start a blog, then, technically they named your blog.

Seriously though, Mary, I'm really excited and happy that you're writing a blog now. I think you just may come to like it.

Dianey Face said...

They is society, Maria! I'm fascinated by stuff like this... the reasons why some behaviors are appropriate and some are ridiculous- all because of the current fashion or social norms. I thoroughly enjoyed this post! But next time you mention me in your blog (which hopefully is every post), you should make a little link that takes people to my blog. More traffic!! Bwa ha ha ha haaa.

Robyn said...

Whoa, Mary has a blog! I found you! I really like the title -- no worries there. Kudos to Barney. :)
And next time you take a trip to DI(ane), let me know. :)

Jen said...

Sweetness! I do, actually, have many "better" things to do, meaning things I HAVE to do. But since I don't WANT to do them, I'd rather relax and read your incredibly witty and clever blog entries!

You rock.