Sunday, October 7, 2012

The Beauty Dealing with a Beast of a Headache

Let this be a lesson to you.

Never take your children grocery shopping.

You heard it here.

Course, I heard it first from my mom. But, no, I knew better. "I have to get some things for dinner and for the weekend," I said.

Well, folks, you'll either end up with way more in your cart than you planned on, or a two-year-old with a concussion.

Despite what you're thinking right now, it wasn't my fault (besides disregarding those warning signs on the shopping cart). I just put M in the cart, turned toward the crackers for about 2 seconds, then turned back to see her falling flat on her back and smacking her head on the floor.

To make a long story short, she couldn't walk, threw up a couple of times, and was pretty disoriented. The biggest concern with a concussion (after the initial scare of cracked scalp or bleeding in the brain) is re-injury. If she gets a second concussion before this one is healed (4-5 weeks), it can mean pretty scary business.

So, M is basically on bed rest/house arrest for a while. Poor girl.

5 comments:

Jen said...

We've all been praying for Millie to recover and also for you to feel well! We love you guys!

Unknown said...

Oh no!!! Poor Millie! I hope she gets better and that nothing happens to make it any worse! I will also be much better about buckling my children into the grocery cart - hate to say I'm terrible about that!

sara said...

Oh so sad! We were just talking about this kind of think last week because we were out shopping and Sophia loves to hang on to the side of the cart instead of sit patiently in the seat (of course) I was giving the family a lecture on playing around the shopping carts because my nephew Cannon broke his leg when they were playing on the shopping cart and it came crashing down on him while in the seat. Millie probably has it worse though. Poor girl! Maybe it's a good idea to take her scooter helmet with you to the store!

Cassie said...

When I read the title I was sure it was referring to you. How awful though...and how scary! I'm so sorry.

Net said...

Oh my goodness! So scary! Poor Millie! And poor mom who has to handle the aftermath! You will all be in our prayers! Wow - I've never actually heard of anyone truly being injured from shopping cart calamity. I guess I knew it was probable, but I've never thought twice about it. And honestly, when you wrote not to take your kids to the grocery store I was heartily agreeing. Of course, that's because I always come home frazzled, exasperated, worn out, and... with a headache. I truly am sorry for Millie, but I have to admit that I fully intend to capitalize on her misfortune by insisting the kids don't come to the store with me. :)